Brandermill Woods offers many senior living options, including Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Care, and Skilled Care. Which option is right for you? Many seniors opt for Assisted Living when they need just a little help with day-to-day tasks. Find out what's so special about The Chesterfield Assisted Living community at Brandermill Woods, and get help deciding if it's the right option for you.
What Is Assisted Living?
Assisted Living gives you just the right mix of independence and assistance. You have a private apartment and full control over your day. The Brandermill Woods staff is here to assist when you need a helping hand with tasks such as dressing, bathing, and transferring, though skilled nursing care is not provided to Assisted Living residents. You also receive housekeeping services to make life a little easier.
Who Benefits From an Assisted Living Setting
You might benefit from a move to Assisted Living if you can't live completely independently at home. It's a good option if you feel lonely and want to have ample opportunities for socialization. Some signs that you could be ready for and might benefit from Assisted Living include:
- You need help with personal care tasks.
- Your home isn't accessible based on your mobility needs.
- You have difficulty taking care of routine chores and maintenance around your house.
- Preparing and eating meals regularly is difficult.
- You want to be around other people your age.
Requirements to Live in an Assisted Living Community
You need to meet certain eligibility requirements to qualify for an Assisted Living apartment. Requirements can vary by community, but they may include:
- Age: Assisted Living communities typically have a minimum age. The Assisted Living Age requirement at Brandermill Woods is 62+.
- Stability: Residents of Assisted Living should be in stable health. Some communities offer modest assistance, such as medication management, but more substantial care requirements are typically a good indicator you may need Skilled Nursing Care.
- Need for assistance: You should be able to demonstrate some type of need for support. If you're completely fine on your own, Independent Living could be a better fit.
- No major cognitive impairments: If you have a memory impairment, you may not qualify for Assisted Living. Brandermill Woods has a special Memory Care neighborhood, where residents can explore safely and maintain as much independence as possible within a secure environment.
- Mobility: The caring staff at Brandermill Woods can help with some mobility needs, such as transfers, but you typically need to be independently mobile on your own or with a cane, walker, or wheelchair. Seniors who are bedridden typically need a Skilled Nursing environment.
Care You Receive in an Assisted Living Community
When you move into an Assisted Living community like The Chesterfield at Brandermill Woods, you undergo an assessment to determine your specific needs. This allows the staff to develop a personalized care plan that outlines the types of services and assistance you need. Your caregivers might reassess you periodically or change the care plan as your needs change.
The specific services and care you receive can vary based on the community you choose. For instance, at Brandermill Woods, we offer medication administration and monitoring, but other communities might not offer any medical support. We also provide emergency medical care and have a licensed nurse on the premises 24 hours a day.
Common care and services include:
- Assistance with activities of daily care
- Scheduled activities
Benefits of Assisted Living at Brandermill Woods
Looking at the benefits of Assisted Living can help you decide if it's the right living option for you. Here are some perks you will enjoy at Brandermill Woods:
- Maintenance-free: You don't have to worry about mowing, cleaning, or handling repairs when you choose an Assisted Living apartment, which makes life less stressful.
- Controlled costs: The predictable monthly rate makes it easier to budget and bundles everything into one payment. There are no unexpected expenses, such as an increase in property taxes or home repairs.
- Socialization: The availability of other residents makes socialization easy and helps you avoid loneliness. Plus you can take advantage of a full social calendar that presents opportunities for exercise, enrichment, and conversation.
- Access to amenities: Explore the wide offering of amenities, such as the gym, lounge, beauty parlor, and shared common spaces. These areas offer entertainment options and allow you to connect with your neighbors.
- Personalized care: Residents receive personalized care based on their current conditions and needs.
- Safety and security: Security and accessibility provide added peace of mind. At Brandermill Woods, we have monitored exits, emergency alarm pendants, and call bells in each room.
- Independence: You can get the help you need while maintaining your independence in a private apartment.
- Priority admission: As a Brandermill Woods resident, you get priority admission into The Health Care Center. When you choose a Continuing Care Retirement Community with different levels of care, you often get priority access to those other areas if your health needs change.
Tour Our Community
The caring staff at Brandermill Woods is ready to show you around our Assisted Living community. You can explore all the features and amenities and learn more about the care you'll receive. Call (804) 744-1173 or contact us online to schedule a tour.