Although we’re nearing the end of January, you may still be experiencing the holiday blues and dreading the return to your usual day-to-day routine. A 2018 study conducted by the National Alliance on Mental Illness revealed that 64% of people report being affected by the holiday blues. Additionally, these effects may have since worsened due to the ongoing pandemic.
Lately, you may find that you’re looking backward instead of forward. The truth is you’re not alone and it can be difficult. In these moments, we at Brandermill Woods understand the importance of keeping active and engaged to overcome these feelings. That’s why we’re committed to redefining retirement by providing you with a full range of activities and services.
If you’re feeling the winter blues, contemplate on one thing you would like to happen this year and how you can work towards achieving it. It doesn’t have to be a major life goal but it will give you something to look forward to and keep you focused.
Here are 5 ideas to beat the post-holiday blues and enjoy a brighter month ahead:
1. Add more laughter to your life: Think of the last time you laughed hysterically. It’s no secret that laughter reduces stress and improves your mood. Try getting a joke book or frequenting our game rooms. You can also lookout for a funny, feel-good show at our movie theater or visit a nearby comedy club.
2. Make exercise more fun: If it’s not fun, that lessens the chances that you’d get it done in the first place. Consider doing a sport you enjoy or finding a partner to exercise with you. If you’re going at it alone, it also helps to listen to your favorite songs or podcast or watch your favorite show during your workout.
3. Be more mindful: Yoga is a great exercise that improves flexibility but it’s also a practice that fosters mindfulness. This is because you’re encouraged to slow down, control your breathing and become more aware of your surroundings. You can also consider daily meditation or get advice from our full-time Wellness Nurse.
4. Take ample time for self-care: You’ve worked hard your entire life and if there’s any time to put self-care at the forefront it’s now. Take advantage of our Hairstylist, Nail Specialist and Massage Therapist. Relax at our indoor therapeutic swimming pool, read a book and find time for your favorite hobby.
5. Explore Central Virginia: Located in Midlothian, Virginia, just south of the James River, our community has so much to discover. Look into the many options for dining, entertainment and shopping, or head into the city to visit a museum. You can play golf at nearby courses or for something more relaxing, take walks through the scenic neighborhood.
It’s time to say goodbye to holiday blues and hello to all that Brandermill Woods has to offer. Our close-knit community, along with our wide range of activities and services, are sure to keep you happy and entertained. Call us today and schedule a tour.