It’s back-to-school time for kids…and adults. As an older adult, it’s not too late to take advantage of the many opportunities for lifelong learning. Not only is it fun to challenge yourself by learning something new, but lifelong learning can improve cognition in older adults and keep your mind sharp.
Here in Central Virginia, Brandermill Woods residents have a wealth of opportunities for lifelong learning. Here are just five ways you can go “back to school” this fall!
1) Sign up for The Great Courses: The next best thing to a college classroom is a world-class college lecturer beaming right into your living room. This collection includes over 250 paid video courses on a wide range of subjects such as literature, fine arts, music, travel, health, food and more.
2) Join the Library of Virginia: The Library of Virginia has reinforced its dedication to provide relevant and useful educational material on Virginia’s history, culture, and people to the commonwealth’s educators, students, and lifelong learners of any age. They do so through a number of online resources as well as tours and workshops.
3) Attend lectures, seminars and workshops: Whether on campus at Brandermill Woods or at one of the many colleges and universities in the Richmond area, a lecture is a great way to stay engaged with what’s going on in the world.
4) Socialize with other residents: Here on campus, our community is made up of a diverse bunch of residents from various walks of life. A conversation over dinner or while enjoying your favorite hobby is enough to learn so much. Take time to interact with and get to know other residents.
5) Catch up on your reading list: Reading is one of the best ways to never stop learning. There are endless books on any topic you can possibly think about. The best part is you can go at your own pace. Visit our library on campus, swap books with neighbors or consider buying an e-reader such as Kindle so if you choose, you can carry your books wherever you go.
If you join us at Brandermill Woods, we are here with a full calendar of enriching activities to stimulate your curiosity, keep your mind sharp and make every day exciting. Contact us for a tour to learn more!