December 23, 2020
To: Independent Living Residents
From: Kristen Moore, ILU Administrator
Re: COVID-19 UPDATE
We are still requesting that residents continue to self-monitor their symptoms and temperature. Due to the current Governor mandates along with Chesterfield County’s positivity rate exceeding15%, various policies will be put into place related to going off-campus. Please read the protocol below carefully for our policies starting on 12/23 in bold.
Off-Site and Local Travel Guidelines
- Residents may leave campus for stores, businesses and medical appointments since they are mandated by social distancing and mask wearing. Visits to family/friends off-site in a non-mandated environment (i.e. a home), will require a 14-day quarantine period upon returning to campus. Of course, we can’t prohibit you from leaving the property, however, if you make the choice to visit family/friends, then we will be required to quarantine you upon your return in order to protect the community and your neighbors.
· What does quarantine mean? The resident will stay in their unit (porch is allowed) during the 14-day period. The resident can walk around the outside community grounds with a face mask and following social distancing but not walk in the common areas. Housekeeping, maintenance and therapy will not be allowed in the unit. Meals will be delivered and the delivery charge is waived. Mail will be delivered. Arrange with Kristen if you have a package or mail that needs to be mailed out or trash. Essential trips to grocery stores, pharmacy, medical appointments or banks are allowed.
- We will maintain staff at the front of the community to monitor approved guests and residents leaving campus.
- Transportation: Medical Appointments, Pharmacies, Banks, Grocery Shopping trips and Shuttle will continue. Shuttle Hours are Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. Holiday Shuttle will run 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- To sign up for grocery shopping, banks or pharmacy outings, please call the Front Desk at least 24 hours before outings to ensure transport. You do not sign-up in the Bluebook. Residents going in our vehicles are required to wear a face mask. If driving on your own, please practice social distancing and wear a face mask as needed.
- The BCA Lights Tours and Brandermill Walkers will resume. The mall trips on 12/22 and 12/29 have been cancelled due to lack of interest.
Visitation Update and Guidelines
· Virtual visits only. No outdoor visits or visits inside units from non-residents. Residents may visit in each other’s units as long as neither are on quarantine. Please remember to wear masks and social distance.
· Only medically necessary visitors allowed inside units and must screen at the kiosk at the Clubhouse after arriving on campus. Medically necessary includes medicine management and direct personal care.
· Residents must call the Front Desk to add their approved medically necessary visitor to the list. Residents do not have to call to add Home Health/Hospice or Caregiving Agencies.
· Residents do not need to call to add people who would need to enter in case of emergency; only current medically necessary visitors should be added to the approved list.
· We are requiring weekly COVID-19 negative test results from any caregiver, medically approved visitors and therapists who enter our property. Results from within the last 7 days must be shown to the Receptionist/Security every time they arrive for a shift and get screened. For your convenience, Brandermill Woods staff can administer the test for private caregivers or family members who serve as medically necessary caregivers only on Wednesdays from 9:30 –10:30 a.m. in the Wellness Clinic. Caregivers who work for an agency will arrange their own testing. Testing will be required at least through this month. Please contact our Wellness nurses at ext. 203, Monday through Friday,8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. if you have further questions.
· We will be requiring all caregivers, medically approved visitors and therapists to wear an KN95 mask before entering any building or unit.
· Dogwalkers and people taking residents to appointments don’t have to be on the approved list or tested if they don’t enter the buildings or units. They will just need to be screened at the kiosk when they come on property.
· Families/friends dropping off food/gifts at a Cottage (may not enter) don’t have to be screened at the Clubhouse since they aren’t entering the unit.
· Guest quarters will remain closed.
· Outside Specialists may return to Brandermill Woods with a negative COVID test within 7days of their shift. This includes the Audiologist, Podiatrist, as well as Nail and Hair Technicians. All Specialists are screened, temperatures taken, proper PPE worn and including extra time in between appointments to fully sanitize the area.
· A large banner stating NO VISITORS will remain at the front of the community until we are fully open to visitors without reservations or restrictions. If you see someone and you’re concerned they shouldn’t be on property or you see someone entering a door other than the Clubhouse main entrance, please call the Front Desk. During non-business hours, the Clubhouse Front Door Main Entrance is locked. Residents may enter with a fob during non-business hours.
· A call button is located outside the Clubhouse Front Door for anyone trying to visit the Clubhouse during non-business hours.
· Residents who live in the Cottages may enter through any Clubhouse/Apartment exterior doors with their fob. All doors have been enabled for entry. Visitors will enter the Clubhouse through the Clubhouse Main Entrance. Temperatures will be taken for all residents entering the Clubhouse Main Entrance. Please allow the person before you to finish their screening prior to approaching the doors.
We have received many calls and emails from families and residents requesting visits during the holidays. Please know that every decision we make is very difficult for us when it involves restrictions of any kind for our residents and employees. Our goal is to do the very best we can to keep everyone safe and our Brandermill Woods Community COVID free. We understand that some things are out of our control, and when we do have a COVID case, it is our responsibility to do everything possible to contain it and keep it from spreading.
With some reservation and after further discussions with our Infection Control Preventionist, we have decided to allow visitors with restrictions, effective December 21, 2020.
Please be aware that we are discouraging visits due to the impact COVID is having in our state and nation and the increase in the risks to our residents and employees that visitors present.
The following protocols are required for all visitors:
· Each person would have to receive a negative COVID test result within 2 days of their arrival (suggesting rapid tests since PCR’s sometimes take 2-10 days for results)
· All visitors must be screened at the Clubhouse before entering any unit.
· Max of 4 people- excluding resident
· Each person must wear a KN95 mask at all times. (Food Lion has the mask available)
· Visitors are not allowed in the common areas or Clubhouse restrooms.
· Resident would be required to quarantine 14-days after their guests depart.
Below are the dining guidelines to follow effective 12/21.
1· Hours are:
2. Dine-in brunch: Sunday 11:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.; reservations required
3. Carry-Out lunch and dinner: Monday – Saturday: 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 – 5:00p.m.
4. Carry-Out brunch: Sunday 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
5. Grab N Go: open during dine-in hours
6. No breakfast services
7. Holiday hours and information including Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day will be posted on BWTV
· Extensions to call:
1. To order a carry-out meal, call ext. 252
2. To make a reservation for Sunday brunch, call ext. 405.
· The coffee machines in the common areas will be open and available for use. We will continue to only allow 2 residents per table until further notice.
· Residents are required to wear their masks until seated and when they leave the table for any reason.
· We strongly discourage residents from arriving early to their reservation, and please remember social distancing rules apply while dining.
· Happy Hour remains discontinued.
· If you have any dining questions, please contact Steven (ext. 284) or Katie (ext.276).
· In order for our kitchen to maintain the high-volume of quality and efficient take-out and dine-in orders, we have to limit the number of choices. Menus will be posted daily on BWTV channel 970and on Resident Apps. For take-out orders, please call extension 252. Allow15-20 minutes until your meal will be ready for pick-up in the alcove opposite The Bistro. Please note, if you walk through the main Clubhouse doors, you will have to screen in order to enter. Please use the spacing markers on the floor in this area. Please allow the servers to hand you the to-go meals. Delivery, for a charge, is available for those unable to pick-up. Residents must wear a mask to pick-up meals. If you’ve reached the voicemail on the to-go extensions, please don’t leave a message. Please call back. Stay tuned to BWTV for in-house dining specials.
· The Fitness Center is open for residents. We would ask that everyone wear a mask while entering the Clubhouse, and residents should check their temperature prior to leaving their unit or at the Clubhouse front doors. Once inside the Fitness Center, masks are not necessary during your workout, but we are asking that you adhere to social distancing guidelines. Our team will be conducting extra cleaning on site which may cause a few delays from time to time so please be patient. If we all respect everyone’s safety, we can enjoy the benefits of a good workout. Reservations are not required; however, we will ask that you clean the equipment you use afterwards.
· A limited number of fitness classes are offered in the Meeting Room. Participation will be limited to 15 people for social distancing purposes, so you will need to reserve your spot. Arthritis Class will extend to 20 residents with masks required. Our instructors will continue to take everyone’s temperature prior to the class. Anyone with a temperature above 99.6 will be denied entry. To participate in one of our indoor fitness classes, call ext. 204 the day before the class you would like to attend. See BWTV, Resident Apps and the revised schedule previously distributed for class times. As of December 23, land fitness classes have been suspended through December 27 pending COVID status. Aquatics classes remain open.
· A limited number of pool classes are offered. Participation will be limited to 6residents per class. We also offer free swim to those who want to participate in their own workout. To make a reservation, call ext. 204 the day before the class you would like to attend. All changing rooms in the locker room are open. Please sanitize before and after use with the supplies available in each room. See BWTV and Resident Apps for class offerings.
· Yoga and the Parkinson’s Dance Group with a contracted instructor may resume, determined by test results. See the calendar and BWTV for days/times.
· One-on-one sessions with Jess and Chase have been discontinued until further notice.
Beauty Salon Update
Elaine is taking appointments Tuesday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Please call ext.259 to make an appointment.
o For Monday appointments, residents can make individual appointments with Stefanie(hair) by calling 873-3369 or Marcie (nails) by calling 237-2355.
o Temperatures will be taken at the Salon. Wristbands are not required.
o Masks are required to enter the Salon and must be worn throughout the service. Tune into BWTV channel 970 for all updates.
o Two appointments are allowed per service provider at a time, so stylists can work with two residents at a time.
o A limited number of appointments will be taken per day to ensure our stylists can fully sanitize after each customer.
o Please do not arrive early to your appointment; only two residents will be allowed in the Salon at a time.
- Residents in the Apartments will resume picking up packages and food drop-offs at the Front Desk.
- The Living Room and Library will re-open.
- Chat with Charmaine will be virtual on January 14, 2021. The recording will be shown on BWTV at 2:00, 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. and then uploaded on Resident Apps.
- Face Masks are required for all staff and residents anywhere in the buildings. Please remember to cover your nose and mouth with the mask, and do not remove the mask to talk to someone.
- Limited resident group activities and movies are being offered with a maximum of 10 people, per the Governor’s mandate. Sunday’s church service on campus may resume with more than 10 people, per the Governor’s mandate. Any residents attending the resident group activities or movies should get their temperatures checked either before leaving their unit or at the Front Door prior to attending the activity. Call ext. 209 to reserve a spot for a movie. Some groups have changed their times, days, or locations. Other groups will resume at a later date. Masks, 6’ distancing and sanitizing the area after each use will be required for all group activities. Neglect of these rules may result in suspension of the activity. Card and table games where residents share game pieces and/or cards and the puzzle tables have been suspended until January 5th pending COVID status.
- The Art Room is available for individual art projects. No more than 5 residents at a time. Peggy Healy has returned and is currently only working with residents who have current projects in the making, and Santa DeHaven’s return date is TBD.
- Genesis Therapy has closed their gym at the HCC/Haven during this time but will provide services to Independent Living residents in the Fitness Center or in units. Please continue to call 269-0034 to reach Genesis Therapy. Residents will be screened and have their temperatures taken prior to each appointment.
- Maintenance: All work orders will be scheduled. Call Louise at ext. 285 to place a work order.
- Housekeeping: Service hours and cleaning units will resume.
- Accounting: If you have a billing question for Accounting, please visit or call ext. 278 (Kendall), 279 (Danita), 253 (Cary) or 407 (Mamie).
- Wellness Nurses: Service hours will continue as usual.
- Front Desk: Service hours will continue as usual.
- We recommend this homemade solution for cleaning and wiping down surfaces on a regular basis: 10-parts water to 1-part bleach.
If you think you may have a fever or COVID-19 symptoms or have been in contact with a positive COVID-19 person, please call your physician first and then call the Wellness Nurses.
We are updated daily from the CDC and VA Department of Health regarding this virus and will continue to update you as needed. Please stay tuned to BWTV channel970 as we will continue to provide updates as we receive them. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Kristen Moore, ILU Administrator at521-8273. Please continue to wash your hands and use hand sanitizer located at the entrance doors. If you are not feeling well, please contact your physician and do not visit the common or dining areas or the Wellness clinic. Thank you for your assistance in keeping our community safe and healthy.