Starting on 10/1, we began Step 4 Part 2. See changes in bold from the 10/15 memo.
No-touch Temperature Kiosk
- A no-touch temperature kiosk has been installed at the Clubhouse Main Entrance Front Door. This new safety system will monitor temperatures, ask screening questions and ensure face masks, before gaining entrance into the Clubhouse.
- Using the Kiosk is very fast and easy! Please follow the steps below:
- Enter the Clubhouse through the first set of exterior doors.
- Use the hand sanitizer provided in the entry. Residents do not have to press 0 on the phone next to the hand sanitizer.
- Walkup to the silver Kiosk and stand in front of it.
- The system will display the screening questions. Please read through them.
- If all of your answers are YES to the questions, please wave your hand in front of the sensor.
- The Kiosk will announce that your temperature is “normal”
- The interior Clubhouse doors will open.
- If you do not acknowledge the questions, your temperature is greater than 99.6, or you don’t have on a face mask, the doors will not open. The Front Desk will receive an email notification and photo indicating that you were not permitted to enter.
- If the system tells you that you have a high temperature, please go back outside and wait a few minutes. Then you may try again. The air conditioner or heater in your vehicle may affect the temperature sensor.
- If your temperature remains high, please return home and call the Nurse or Security.
- If the doors will not open or you need assistance, please press 0 on the phone next to the hand sanitizer or use the call button if after hours.
- Please note that wristbands will no longer be used for visiting the Salon or for visitors. Elaine, Stefanie and Marcie will be taking temperatures at the Salon before your appointment.
- We will still maintain an approved visitor listing, so please call the Front Desk to add your visitor to the list.
- Visitors (for Apartments or Cottages) and medically necessary providers will press 0 on the phone next to the hand sanitizer first to speak with the Receptionist and confirm they are on the approved list. After hours when the doors are locked, visitors and medically necessary providers will press the call button outside of the doors. Then they will walk through the first set of doors to be screened. Once screened, visitors and providers who are seeing residents who live in the Apartments will sign in at the book located in front of the mirrors in the Clubhouse Lobby.
- Additional kiosks will be placed at the West Addition entrance and the employee entrance. Updated protocol will be distributed once the kiosks are installed.
- If you have any questions about the kiosk, please call Joe at ext. 270. If you’d like to try out the new kiosk, please feel free to come and to be screened and staff can show you how it works.
Below are the dining guidelines to follow during Step 4 Part 2.
- Dine-in breakfast Monday – Saturday: 8:00 – 10:00 a.m.; no carry-out or reservations
- Dine-in lunch and dinner Monday - Saturday 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.; reservations required for dinner
- Carry-Out lunch and dinner Monday – Saturday: 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
- Carry-Out brunch Sunday and holidays 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Carry-out only
- Starting on 11/23, we will be offering reservations up to 4 people (no outside guests).
- We will be serving with regular plates and silverware for dine-in service. We will continue to use individual condiment packets with cloth napkins and no tablecloths in the dining rooms to allow for proper sanitization between guests.
- Residents are required to wear their masks until seated and when they leave the table for any reason.
- Residents MUST call the RESERVATION LINE at ext. 405, between 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. up to a week in advance and no later than the day prior to the desired day in order to reserve a table.
- We strongly discourage residents from arriving early to their reservation, and please remember social distancing rules apply while dining.
- The Grab n’ Go will be open from 8:00 – 10:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 – 6:00 p.m. Monday – Saturday.
- Happy Hour – Social distancing Happy Hour will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:00 – 5:00 p.m. Reservations are required by calling extension 276 to reserve a seat. Seating is limited. Happy Hour will be monitored by the Dining Director or a Dining Manager to ensure social distancing is adhered to. Happy Hour will be discontinued if Chesterfield County’s positivity rate increases to over ten percent (10%).
- If you have any dining questions, please contact Steven (ext. 284) or Katie (ext.276).
- A notice regarding Thanksgiving dining plans was distributed/posted on 11/9.
- In order for our kitchen to maintain the high-volume of quality and efficient take-out and dine-in orders, we have to limit the number of choices. Menus will be posted daily on BWTV channel 970 and on Resident Apps. For take-out orders, please call extension 252. Allow 15-20 minutes until your meal will be ready for pick-up in the alcove opposite The Bistro. Please note, if you walk through the main Clubhouse doors, you will have to screen in order to enter. Please use the spacing markers on the floor in this area. Delivery, for a charge, is available for those unable to pick-up. Residents must wear a mask to pick-up meals. If you’ve reached the voicemail on the to-go extensions, please don’t leave a message. Please callback. Stay tuned to BWTV for in-house dining specials.
Visitation Update and Guidelines
- Residents may have in-state or out-of-state visitors inside their units as long as their guests arrive by car (no commercial transportation such as planes, trains or buses). If a visitor arrives by commercial transportation or has used commercial transportation in the last 14 days, they must provide a negative COVID test result prior to coming on campus. If a visitor has been in a group of more than 75 people in a closed environment that is not mandated by social distancing in the last 14 days, they must quarantine for 7 days and then provide a negative COVID test prior to coming on campus. Please notify Kristen if you plan to have visitors who fall into these two categories prior to the visit. Masks are required. Visitors are allowed to stay the night in the unit and must not visit common areas. Call the Front Desk to have your visitor added to the approved visitor spreadsheet.
- Residents may still schedule visits at 5 outdoor and 1 indoor location rather than visiting inside their units. Call the Front Desk if you’re interested in scheduling these visits.
- Reservations are being taken for our Guest Quarters. Call Stephanie at ext. 301 to make a reservation. We will not be taking reservations for rollaway beds at this time.
- Outside Specialists have returned to Brandermill Woods with a negative COVID test. This includes the Audiologist, Podiatrist, as well as Nail and Hair Technicians. All Specialist are screened, temperatures taken, proper PPE worn and including extra time in between appointments to fully sanitize the area.
- A large banner stating NO VISITORS will remain at the front of the community until we are fully open to visitors without reservations or restrictions. We continue to allow medically necessary providers and in-state and out-of-state visitors (as long as they travel by car) inside units. Please see above for protocol. If you see someone and you’re concerned they shouldn’t be on property or you see someone entering a door other than the Clubhouse main entrance, please call the Front Desk. During non-business hours, the Clubhouse Front Door Main Entrance is locked. Residents may enter with a fob during non-business hours.
- A call button is located outside the Clubhouse Front Door for anyone trying to visit the Clubhouse during non-business hours. See the guidelines above for the new protocol. Residents who live in the Cottages may enter through any Clubhouse/Apartment exterior doors with their fob. All doors have been enabled for entry. Visitors will enter the Clubhouse through the Clubhouse Main Entrance. Temperatures will be taken for all residents entering the Clubhouse Main Entrance. Please allow the person before you to finish their screening prior to approaching the doors.
- We are going to continue to maintain an approved medically necessary and visitors list until further notice for tracking purposes. This list will include those who enter your homes and those who do not enter your homes such as dropping off groceries, dropping off medicine or walking a pet. ONLY visitors on this list (and the reserved visitors list) will be allowed on property. Residents must call the Front Desk to add medically necessary visitors, in-state or out-of-state visitors to the list.
- The Fitness Center is open for residents. We would ask that everyone wear a mask while entering the Clubhouse and residents should check their temperature prior to leaving their unit or at the Clubhouse front doors. Once inside the Fitness Center, masks are not necessary during your workout, but we are asking that you adhere to social distancing guidelines. Our team will be conducting extra cleaning on site which may cause a few delays from time to time so please be patient. If we all respect everyone’s safety, we can enjoy the benefits of a good workout. Reservations are not required; however, we will ask that you clean the equipment you use afterwards.
- A limited number of fitness classes are offered in the Meeting Room. Participation will be limited to 15 people for social distancing purposes, so you will need to reserve your spot. Our instructors will continue to take everyone’s temperature prior to the class. Anyone with a temperature above 99.6 will be denied entry. To participate in one of our indoor fitness classes, call ext. 204 the day before the class you would like to attend.
- A limited number of pool classes are offered. Participation will be limited to 5 residents per class. We also offer free swim to those who want to participate in their own workout. To make a reservation, call ext. 204 the day before the class you would like to attend. All changing rooms in the locker room are open. Please sanitize before and after use with the supplies available in each room.
- Yoga and the Parkinson’s Dance Group with a contracted instructor has resumed. See the calendar and BWTV for days/times.
- One-on-one sessions with Jess and Chase have resumed. Call ext. 204 to make an appointment.
Off-Site and Local Travel Guidelines
- If you plan to visit local family/friends, we ask that you limit the group number to no more than 75 people in a closed environment at a time to reduce the risks of exposure and avoid quarantine. Overnight trips for 1+ nights by means of a car to locations within a day’s driving (accommodations with less than 10 people) are also permitted without quarantine. If a resident chooses to fly, there may be a quarantine and/or testing requirement upon return. We would ask that everyone wear a mask and follow social distancing guidelines.
- Transportation: Medical Appointments, Pharmacies, Banks, Grocery Shopping trips and Shuttle will continue. Tuesday trips have resumed. Trips will be limited to 14 residents. Shuttle Hours are Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. Holiday Shuttle will run 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- To sign up for Brandermill Walkers, grocery shopping, banks or pharmacy outings, please call the Front Desk at least 24 hours before outings to ensure transport. You do not sign-up in the Bluebook. Residents going in our vehicles are required to wear a face mask. If driving on your own, please practice social distancing and wear a face mask as needed.
Covid-19 Testing Updates
- Although the Governor has implemented Phase 3, this does not mean Brandermill Woods will be following the same guidelines. Since we care for the population that is most at risk for complications from COVID-19, we need to be strategic, paced and deliberate in this decision for the safety of our residents and staff.
- Many residents and family members have asked about testing at Independent Living (IL). If, and when, the Health Departments recommend a Point Prevalence Survey of all IL residents and staff, we would do so. Obtaining the quantity of tests needed for this type of program continues to be a struggle. Residents and staff have been told if they wish to try and get tested on their own, they may do so. Please let the Wellness Nurses know if you choose to get tested and the results. Many doctors/facilities won’t test someone who is not showing symptoms and hasn’t had direct contact with a person who has a confirmed case of COVID-19.
Beauty Salon Update
Elaine is taking appointments Tuesday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Please call ext. 259 to make an appointment.
- For Monday appointments, residents can make individual appointments with Stefanie (hair) by calling 873-3369 or Marcie (nails) by calling 237-2355.
- Temperatures will be taken at the Salon. Wristbands are not required.
- Masks are required to enter the Salon and must be worn throughout the service. Tune into BWTV channel 970 for all updates.
- Two appointments are allowed per service provider at a time, so stylists can work with two residents at a time.
- A limited number of appointments will be taken per day to ensure our stylists can fully sanitize after each customer.
- Please do not arrive early to your appointment; only two residents will be allowed in the Salon at a time.
- The Living Room has re-opened since take-out orders will be picked up at the alcove by The Bistro.
- Chat with Charmaine will take place in the MR. 23 residents may attend due to social distancing, and reservations can be made by calling ext. 209. Chat will be recorded and shown on BWTV at 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. and then uploaded on Resident Apps.
- Face Masks are required for all staff and approved visitors if they come in contact with residents. Disposable surgical masks are suggested but handmade masks may also be used. All residents coming into the common areas/hallways wear masks or cover their face for their own protection and the protection of others. A resident MUST be wearing a mask to pick up to-go meals. Please remember to cover your nose and mouth with the mask, and do not remove the mask to talk to someone. If you need a cloth mask, there is a limited supply for residents only at the Front Desk.
- Limited resident group activities and movies are being offered. Any residents attending the resident group activities or movies should get their temperatures checked either before leaving their unit or at the Front Door prior to attending the activity. Call ext. 209 to reserve a spot for a movie, and the max occupancy in the Theater is 10. Some groups have changed their times, days, or locations. Other groups will resume at a later date. Masks, 6’ distancing and sanitizing the area after each use will be required for all group activities. Neglect of these rules may result in suspension of the activity.
- The Brandermill Woods Library is open.
- The Art Room is available for individual art projects. No more than 5 residents at a time. Peggy Healy has returned and is currently only working with residents who have current projects in the making, and Santa DeHaven’s return date is TBD.
- Genesis Therapy has closed their gym at the HCC/Haven but will provide services to Independent Living residents in their Apartments/Cottages until further notice. Please continue to call 269-0034 to reach Genesis Therapy. Residents will be screened and have their temperatures taken prior to each appointment.
- Maintenance: Call Louise at ext. 285 to place a work order.
- Housekeeping: Service hours and cleaning units will resume.
- Accounting: If you have a billing question for Accounting, please visit or call ext. 278 (Kendall), 279 (Danita), 253 (Cary) or 407 (Mamie).
- Wellness Nurses: Service hours will continue as usual.
- Front Desk: Service hours will continue as usual.
- We recommend this homemade solution for cleaning and wiping down surfaces on a regular basis: 10-parts water to 1-part bleach.
If you think you may have a fever or COVID-19 symptoms or have been in contact with a positive COVID-19 person, please call your physician first and then call the Wellness Nurses.
We are updated daily from the CDC and VA Department of Health regarding this virus and will continue to update you as needed. Please stay tuned to BWTV channel 970 as we will continue to provide updates as we receive them. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Kristen Moore, ILU Administrator at 521-8273. Please continue to wash your hands and use hand sanitizer located at the entrance doors. If you are not feeling well, please contact your physician and do not visit the common or dining areas. Thank you for your assistance in keeping our community safe and healthy.