The current protocol was distributed on February 17, 2021. However, after reviewing the updated information that was released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and further discussions with our Infection Control Preventionist, we have made changes. See the changes in bold from this memo.
Stay tuned to BWTV channel 970.
Off-Site and Local Travel Guidelines
- All residents may leave campus for stores, businesses, and medical appointments since they are mandated by social distancing and mask-wearing.
- Visits to family/friends off-site in a non-mandated environment (i.e. a home), will be permitted without quarantine IF the resident is fully vaccinated (2 weeks since the second dose). It does not matter if the people the resident is visiting are vaccinated. The vaccinated resident will not be quarantined.
- If a resident is not fully vaccinated and visits family/friends off-site in a non-mandated environment (i.e. a home), then a 14-day quarantine period upon returning to campus will occur. Of course, we can’t prohibit residents from leaving the property; however, if residents choose to visit family/friends without being vaccinated, then the resident will be required to quarantine upon return to protect the community and neighbors. Contact Kristen to arrange.
- If a vaccinated resident comes into contact with a COVID positive person, they do not have to quarantine. If a non-vaccinated resident comes into contact with a COVID positive person, they will have to quarantine for 14-days to protect other non-vaccinated people.
What does quarantine mean?
- The resident will stay in their unit (the porch is allowed; if it’s a shared porch, masks must be worn) during the 14 days.
- The resident can walk outside around the campus grounds with a face mask and following social distancing but not walk in the common areas.
- Housekeeping, maintenance, and therapy will not be allowed in the unit.
- Meals will be delivered, and the delivery charge is waived. Mail will be delivered.
- Arrange with the Front Desk if you have a package or mail that needs to be mailed
- Residents in apartments may place trash outside their door Mon-Fri from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00p.m.
- Essential trips to grocery stores, pharmacies, medical appointments, or banks are allowed on your own. BW transportation cannot be used during the quarantine.
- After February 28th, we will no longer maintain staff at the front of the community to monitor approved guests and residents leaving campus.
- Transportation: Medical Appointments, Pharmacies, Banks, Grocery and additional Shopping Center trips and Shuttle will resume. Shuttle Hours are Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- To sign up for shopping, banks, or pharmacy outings, please call the Front Desk at least 24 hours before outings to ensure transport. Residents going in our vehicles are required to wear a face mask, and the driver will take temperatures upon departure. If driving on your own, please practice social distancing and wear a face mask as needed.
Medically Necessary Approved Visitors
- Medically necessary visitors are allowed inside units and must screen at the kiosk at the Clubhouse after arriving on campus. Medically necessary include medication management and direct personal care. They must show Front Desk staff their negative COVID result within 7 days.
- If a medically necessary visitor is fully vaccinated (2 weeks since their second dose), they would not have to be tested weekly. They would present their official CDC card to prove their full vaccination dates every shift. They would continue to screen at the Clubhouse and wear any style of mask.
- Residents must call the Front Desk to add their approved medically necessary visitor to the list. Residents do not have to call to add Home Health/Hospice or Caregiving Agencies.
- Caregivers who are not fully vaccinated will be required to wear KN95 masks until at least March 11 (or until they are fully vaccinated if before March 11).
- Residents do not need to call to add people who would need to enter in case of emergency; only current medically necessary visitors should be added to the approved list.
- We are requiring weekly COVID-19 negative test results from any caregiver, medically approved visitors, and therapists who enter our property and are not fully vaccinated. Results from within the last 7 days must be shown to the Receptionist/Security every time they arrive for a shift and get screened. Fully vaccinated caregivers, medically approved visitors, and therapists will show their CDC card to prove their vaccination dates. For your convenience, Brandermill Woods staff can administer the test for private caregivers or family members who serve as medically necessary caregivers only on Wednesdays from 9:30 – 10:30 a.m. in the Wellness Clinic. Caregivers who work for an agency will arrange their testing. This requirement will continue until at least March 11. Please contact our Wellness nurses at ext. 203, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. if you have further questions.
- Dog walkers and people taking residents to appointments don’t have to be on the approved list or tested if they don’t enter the buildings or units. They will just need to be screened at the kiosk when they come on the property and must wear a mask.
- Families/friends dropping off food/gifts at a Cottage (may not enter) don’t have to be screened at the Clubhouse since they aren’t entering the unit.
- Vendors arranged by residents to visit their units (i.e. cable company, computer repair companies, etc.) must screen at the Clubhouse and wear a KN95 mask. Please remember to keep your distance, and wear a mask while they’re in your unit. Residents should not schedule vendors while on quarantine.
- Outside Specialists are permitted with a negative COVID test within 7 days of their shift or proof of their full vaccination. This includes the Audiologist, Podiatrist, as well as Nail and Hair Technicians. Fully vaccinated specialists can wear any style mask, and non-vaccinated Specialists will wear a KN95 mask. All Specialists are screened, temperatures are taken, and including extra time in between appointments to fully sanitize the area.
Visitation Update and Guidelines
We will continue to allow outside visitors with restrictions.
Please be aware that we are discouraging visits due to the impact COVID is having in our state and nation and the increase in the risks to our residents and employees that visitors present.
The following protocols are required for all visitors:
- YOU MUST CALL THE FRONT DESK TO ADD YOUR VISITOR TO THE APPROVED LIST
- If the visitor has been fully vaccinated (2 weeks since their second dose), then they do not have to be tested before coming on campus. They would present their official CDC card to prove their full vaccination status. They would continue to screen at the Clubhouse and wear any style of mask.
- If the visitor is not fully vaccinated, they would have to receive a negative COVID test result within 2 days of their arrival (suggesting rapid tests since PCR’s sometimes take 2-10 days for results). They will now have to also wear a KN95 mask.
- All visitors must be screened at the Clubhouse before entering any unit.
- Max of 4 people- excluding resident
- Visitors are not allowed in the common areas.
- Because visitors who aren’t fully vaccinated are being tested before their visit, the resident would NOT be required to quarantine 14-days after their guests depart.
- A large banner stating NO VISITORS will remain at the front of the community until we are fully open to visitors without reservations or restrictions. If you see someone and you’re concerned they shouldn’t be on the property or you see someone entering a door other than the Clubhouse main entrance, please call the Front Desk. During non-business hours, the Clubhouse Front Door Main Entrance is locked. Residents may enter with a fob during non-business hours.
- Residents may visit each other’s units as long as neither is on quarantine. Please remember to wear masks and social distance.
Although the weather isn’t ideal, we will offer outdoor visits by reservation only. Please call Amy Willmarth at 744-1173 ext. 303 or email at email@example.com to schedule.
- Reservations will be taken Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Reservations available every day.
- 2-4 visitors are allowed at a time, depending on the location.
- Visitors to residents who live in the Cottages may visit in their driveway or front yard (not inside the Cottage, on the porch, or in the garage) – still abiding by the 6’ social distance and masks.
- There are 5 outdoor locations for scheduled visits with residents residing in the Apartments: the West Addition porch, the Johns’ Garden, the Wellness Center porch, the deck off of the Lounge, the covered area by the Courtyard between the A and B Buildings
- Please disinfect the area after your visit.
- Masks should be worn by residents and visitors at all times.
- A copy of the Visitation Reservation List will be provided to the Front Desk.
- All visitors who have made a reservation must be screened at the Front Entrance Clubhouse doors when arriving on campus. (negative COVID results are not required for outdoor visits)
- Although residents are allowed to have visitors on-campus during scheduled times, the 14-day quarantine protocol remains for residents who choose to go off-campus to visit family/friends.
- Dine-in breakfast Monday – Saturday: 8:00 – 10:00 a.m.; no carry-out or reservations
- Dine-in lunch and dinner Monday -Saturday 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.; reservations required for dinner
- Carry-Out lunch and dinner Monday – Saturday: 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
- Carry-Out brunch Sunday and holidays 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Carry-out only
- Call extension 252 to order a carry-out meal. Allow 15-20 minutes until your meal will be ready. Please allow the servers to hand you the to-go meals in the alcove opposite The Bistro. Delivery, for a charge, is available for those unable to pick-up. Residents must wear a mask to pick-up meals. If you’ve reached the voicemail on the to-go extensions, please don’t leave a message. Please call back.
- Residents MUST call the RESERVATION LINE at ext. 405, between 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. or email Katie at firstname.lastname@example.org up to a week in advance and no later than the day before the desired day to reserve a table.
- We will allow 2 residents per table for reservations.
- We will be serving with regular plates and silverware for dine-in service. We will continue to use individual condiment packets with paper dinner napkins and no tablecloths in the dining rooms to allow for proper sanitization between guests.
- Residents are required to wear their masks until seated and when they leave the table for any reason.
- We strongly discourage residents from arriving early to their reservation, and please remember social distancing rules apply while dining.
- The Grab n’ Go will be open during dining hours.
- Happy Hour remains discontinued.
- The coffee machines in the Bistro will be available (no other common area coffee machines will be available).
- Oscar’s will re-open after March 11. The specific date is TBD.
- If you have any dining questions, please contact Steven (ext. 284) or Katie (ext. 276).
- The Fitness Center is open for residents. Genesis Therapy is using the Fitness Center from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. daily with residents receiving therapy services, and we will permit 2 additional residents who aren’t in therapy to use the Fitness Center during this time. The max occupancy in the Fitness Center is 6. We would ask that everyone wear a mask while entering the Clubhouse, and residents should check their temperature before leaving their unit or at the Clubhouse front doors. Once inside the Fitness Center, masks are not necessary during your workout, but we are asking that you adhere to social distancing guidelines. Our team will be conducting extra cleaning on-site which may cause a few delays from time to time so please be patient. Reservations are not required; however, we will ask that you clean the equipment you use afterward.
- A limited number of fitness classes are offered in the Meeting Room. Participation will be limited to 15 people for Powercize, Stretch and Tone, LineDance, Mat Challenge, and Balance Class. Arthritis Class and Leg Works will extend to 20 residents with masks required. Reservations are required by calling ext. 204 between 8:00 – 3:00 the day before the class offered. Monday class reservations must be made on Friday.
- A limited number of pool classes are offered. Participation will be limited to 6 residents per class. We also offer free swim to those who want to participate in their workout. To make a reservation, call ext. 204 between 8:00 – 3:00 the day before the class you would like to attend. All changing rooms in the locker room are open. Please sanitize before and after use with the supplies available.
- Our instructors will continue to take everyone’s temperature before the class. Anyone with a temperature above 99.6 will be denied entry. To participate in one of our indoor fitness classes, call ext. 204 between 8:00 – 3:00 the day before the class you would like to attend.
- Brandermill Walkers will resume in March.
- Parkinson’s Dance Group will resume. Yoga will resume at a later date. See the calendar and BWTV channel 970 for days/times.
- One-on-one sessions with Jess and Chase have been discontinued.
- Genesis Therapy services may be held in the Fitness Center from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. daily.
- Residents may wear any style of mask when attending activities, Arthritis Class, while using BW transportation, or anytime in a common area. We suggest a KN95 mask for residents who aren’t fully vaccinated to better protect themselves.
- March’s Chat with Charmaine will be recorded and shown on BWTV at 2:00, 4:00, and 6:00 p.m. and then uploaded on Resident Apps. If the governor increases group sizes to more than 10, Chat may be available in person.
- Activities that require shared game pieces will resume with a max of 10 people. Other resident group activities such as support groups, book club, readers theater, etc. will continue with a max of 10 people.
- Movies will be shown with a max occupancy of 10 residents.
- Residents attending the resident group activities or movies should get their temperatures checked either before leaving their unit or at the Clubhouse Front Door before attending the activity. Call ext. 209 to reserve a spot for a movie or activities that require reservations. Masks, 6’ distancing, and sanitizing the area after each use will be required for all group activities. Neglect of these rules may result in the suspension of the activity. Sunday Church services in the Meeting Room will resume with 6’ distancing. Reservations are not required.
- The Art Room is available for individual art projects. No more than 5 residents at a time. Peggy Healy has returned and is currently only working with residents who have current projects in the making, and Santa DeHaven’s return date is TBD.
- The Craftshop is open to 3 residents at a time. Masks required, 6’ distancing.
- The Brandermill Woods Library is open.
- Community shared puzzle tables will return to use. Puzzles are also available for residents to take to their units. See Activities.
- The Guest quarters will resume after March 11. The specific date is TBD.
- Residents who live in the Apartments will continue picking up packages and food drop-offs at the Front Desk.
- Face Masks are required for all staff and residents anywhere in the buildings. Please remember to cover your nose and mouth with the mask, and do not remove the mask to talk to someone. Masks remain required even after the second dose of the vaccine is administered.
- Maintenance: All work orders will be scheduled. Call Louise at ext. 285 to place a work order.
- Housekeeping: Service hours and cleaning units will resume.
- If you have a billing question for Accounting, please visit or call ext. 278 (Kendall), 279 (Danita), 253 (Cary) or 407 (Mamie).
- Wellness Nurses: Service hours will continue as usual.
- Front Desk: Service hours will continue as usual.
Hairstylist, Elaine is taking appointments Tuesday-Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Please call ext. 259 to make a hair appointment.
- For Monday appointments, residents can make individual appointments with Stefanie (hair stylist) by calling 873-3369 or Marcie (nail specialist) by calling 237-2355.
- Temperatures will be taken at the Salon.
- Masks are required to enter the Salon and must be worn throughout the service.
- Two appointments are allowed per service provider at a time, so stylists can work with two residents at a time.
- A limited number of appointments will be taken per day to ensure our stylists can fully sanitize after each customer.
- Please do not arrive early to your appointment; only two residents will be allowed in the Salon at a time.
If you think you may have a fever or COVID-19 symptoms, please call your physician first and then call the Wellness Nurses.
We are updated daily from the CDC and VA Department of Health regarding this virus and will continue to update you as needed. Please stay tuned to BWTV channel 970 as we will continue to provide updates as we receive them. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Kristen Moore, ILU Administrator at 521-8273. Please continue to wash your hands and use hand sanitizer located at the entrance doors. If you are not feeling well, please contact your physician and do not visit the common or dining areas. Thank you for your assistance in keeping our community safe and healthy.