Happy New Year from Brandermill Woods! With the rollover into a new year, now is a great time to consider ways to start fresh and make our lives healthier and brighter in 2023. After all the uncertainty and challenges of the past few years, it’s time to bring simple joys and a little pop of color into our everyday routine. Below, in honor of the year, we’re excited to share 23 ways to make 2023 the best year yet!
At Brandermill Woods, our top resolution for the year is to keep finding ways to surprise and delight our residents. Older adults join our community because they want to make retirement their best chapter yet—with something new and exciting around every corner. For a flavor of what we have cooking, take a look at our independent living services and amenities, which range from a movie theater and woodshop to a greenhouse and indoor therapeutic swimming pool.
We’d love to show you around and introduce you to Brandermill Woods. Until then, here are 23 ideas for 2023!
1. Spend time with loved ones. A social life is a happy life, and the more time you spend with friends and family, the richer your life will be.
2. Make time for yourself every day. This can be as simple as taking a relaxing bath or reading your favorite book. Consider starting a journal to record your days.
3. Be yourself and celebrate your quirks. Each of us is unique and has something special to offer the world—at every stage in life.
4. Appreciate the simple things in life. Consider buying yourself some flowers or taking a walk to enjoy the beauty of nature.
5. Exercise regularly. Not only is it great for your physical health, but it also releases endorphins that make you feel good mentally and emotionally.
6. Eat healthy foods. They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but to embrace a heart-healthy lifestyle, aim for a fistful of fruits and vegetables every day.
7. Don’t forget about your mental health. Older adults in particular should guard against stress and isolation—particularly in these gloomy winter days.
8. Indulge your passions. Retirement is the perfect time to learn a new language, start brewing your own beer or take up woodworking or painting. Go wild!
9. Spread happiness wherever you go—it’s contagious! Smile, wave and be rewarded with good vibes.
10. Laugh often! Laughter is called the best medicine for a reason, so surround yourself with joyful people who bring humor and good cheer to every conversation.
11. Listen to music that delights. Every month at Brandermill Woods, we update our activities calendar with things like concerts and performances of all kinds.
12. Don’t compare yourself to others – you are unique and special in your own way!
13. Learn something new every day. Ever wondered about Etruscan pottery? Or the mechanisms of a transistor radio? Or what the deepest lake in the world is? There’s a whole world to explore!
14. Give back to others. Whether it’s volunteering your time or talents or donating to a charity, helping others makes you feel good inside.
15. Get organized. A tidy home leads to a tidy mind—and a happier you! In case you missed our post last month, read some of our tips for rightsizing and decluttering.
16. Travel to new and exciting places. Seeing new sights and experiencing new cultures is sure to bring a smile to your face.
17. Take up a new hobby or activity. Trying something new is a great way to add excitement to your life and keep boredom at bay.
18. Study your family tree. With resources like Ancestry and 23andMe, you can learn more about your genealogy than ever before.
19. Be patient—good things come to those who wait.
20. Shake up your routine. Always wanted to exercise early in the morning? Ever wanted to try intermittent fasting? A new year is an apt time to mix it up.
21. Say yes more often. It’s been easy in recent years to say no to events and obligations, but 2023 presents a chance to take more risks and get out of your comfort zone. Try saying yes!
22. Treat yourself. Whether it’s a special dessert, a new type of coffee drink, or something you’ve always wanted to invest in, why not now?
23. Plan for the retirement of your dreams. From adventures in independent living to the peace of mind in knowing a continuum of health services is available should you ever need them, Brandermill Woods is here for YOU.
To learn more about our community and visit for a tour, contact us today at (804) 793-8672. We are excited to be a part of your next exciting chapter in retirement!