assisted living community richmond va

frequently asked questions.

What is Assisted Living?

Assisted Living is designed for individuals who require assistance with everyday activities such as meals, medication management or assistance, bathing, dressing and transportation. Some residents may have memory disorders including Alzheimer's, or they may need help with mobility, incontinence or other challenges.

Who licenses the Assisted Living?

In the state of Virginia, Assisted Living facilities are licensed by the Department of Social Services.

What is provided?

Room and Board, meals, snacks and nourishment, medication administration and monitoring, assistance with ADL (activities of daily living), housekeeping, transportation, therapy, 24 hour security and full program of social activities.

Does my health insurance (Medicare & Medigap) pay for Assisted Living?

No, health insurance does not cover the costs of Assisted Living. However, certain health services (therapy, physician services, durable medical equipment) are billed to insurance if applicable. Brandermill Woods will also assist in billing an individual’s Long-Term Care health insurance if applicable.

What is the difference between The Chesterfield and The Holly Inn?

Both are licensed to operate as an Assisted Living facility. However, the Holly Inn is a secure unit designed for individuals with dementia and Alzheimer’s.

Does Assisted Living offer different types of floor plans?

All of our apartments are private and we have three different floorplans to choose from.

Who owns the Assisted Living and how long has it been in operation?

Senior Living Choices, Inc, a non-profit corporation in the Commonwealth of Virginia, does business as Brandermill Woods. The Assisted Living has been in operation for 27 years.

Are the apartments furnished?

No, resident brings their own furniture and may decorate as they wish.

Are pets allowed?

Yes, pets under 40 lbs. are permitted. There is a one-time, non-refundable pet fee of $575. Residents are expected to safely and properly take care of their pet.

What about soundproofing?

The apartments are soundproofed, with well-insulated common walls.

Are couples allowed to share apartment?

Yes, couples may share either the Alcove or One Bedroom apartments. The cost for double occupancy is the rate of the resident with the highest level of care multiplied by 1.5%.

Do you have an emergency action plan?

We have a written emergency plan that is reviewed and tested every year. Our plan addresses the following types of emergencies:

  • Weather emergencies such as tornadoes, hurricanes and winter weather
  • Security incidents such as bomb threats, terrorism and active shooters
  • Natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods

All staff are trained on emergency procedures. They participate in drills and exercises to test their knowledge. Residents are asked to take part in all drills so they can know what to expect in an actual emergency. Our emergency plan includes procedures for communication.